- 1987- Kurt Junge and Mike Gaffey conceive then develop, Junge, Gaffey and Associates Inc., in order to directly address State-by-State mandatory requirements in demographic and revenue cycle data submissions for all US hospitals and healthcare systems in regards to their specific programming assistance needs.
- 1990-1992- The prototype version of what would eventually become Claim Master is written, providing hospitals/healthcare systems with the rapid capability to edit and submit all medical claims.
- 1992- Installation of beta software allowing hospitals to standardize Blue Cross and Blue Shield data sets which rapidly adjudicate claims for not only Highmark, but Medicare and Medicaid as well.
- 1995- Gaffey and Associates is created to expand the pioneering of standardized transaction data sets.
- 1998- Standard transaction data sets are continually upgraded then widely utilized to provide enhanced editing capabilities, ensuring that all hospital data received is clean, accurate, and accelerates cash flow to all health systems.
- 2000- Nationwide expansion continues, effectively covering numerous hospitals/health systems across the East Coast of the United States, in addition to continued nationwide expansion to all major payers.
- 2001- Nationwide system rewrite allows for hospitals/health systems to host their own platforms, significantly expanding user access. Continued expansion of payer returned data sets now includes 835 data for cash posting to host systems, as well as claim status data. Implementation of patient eligibility and its extension into the patient access area of the Revenue Cycle.
- 2009- Company reestablished as- HealthTech Solutions Group
- 2010- Official release of AlphaCollector and AutoStatus.
- 2012- Official release of myCLAIMIQ AlphaCollector, featuring state-of-the-art reporting functionality which significantly improves management oversight of a hospital/health system collections processes and fortifies overall collector productivity.
- 2013- Purchase of Gaffey & Associates, which is immediately rebranded as- GAFFEY Healthcare
- 2014- AutoStatus introduced as Data Service – AutoStatus was previously embedded in AlphaCollector, a data service processes claim status for any workflow solution. Independent document management platform also released.
- 2015- Official release of ZBR – new team-based module of AlphaCollector focused strictly on management of Zero Balance AR.
- 2016- Official release of Remittance360 – a denial and zero payment identification tool using 835 data source.
- 2017- Official release of ClaimCPR – An 837 tool that identifies potential revenue leakage and all billing issues on billing data files.
- 2018- Official release of Workflow Connect – a Remittance360 module that allows any customer to connect to any workflow platform (including AlphaCollector).
Our Mission is to relentlessly pursue technology and related services solutions which effectively increase automation and overall efficiency in healthcare.
To become the preeminent healthcare industry partner employing effective solutions which continually improve efficiency, significantly lower costs and reliably optimize all financial outcomes for all of our clients.
- Always do the right thing
- Always treat each other with respect
- Always value our clients and the customer service we gratefully provide
- Work as a Team, think like individuals
- Work hard, work smart, work together
- Grow – Because our growth equals our successful future
- Be relentless in pursuing our Mission – Automation and Efficiency
- Innovation – Always be listening, thinking, working, and focusing on continually improving our products and how our clients can best use them
Our Leadership Team
Chief Executive Officer
Derek Morkel serves as Chief Executive Officer of GAFFEY Healthcare. With more than 20 years of experience in both the health care and technology industries, Mr. Morkel leads the overall strategic direction of the company and oversees operations, growth strategy and financial performance. Previously Mr. Morkel served as Senior Vice President at MedCath Corporation, Operations CFO at IASIS Healthcare, CEO US Operations for Craneware, Hospital CFO at Province Healthcare (now Lifepoint), and Division Director Finance HCA. Morkel earned a achelor’sB degree from Stellenbosch University in Stellenbosch, South Africa, and a Master’s degree in health care administration from Seton Hall University in South Orange, New Jersey.
Vice President of Revenue Cycle Business Services
Elrene Clinkscales was recently promoted to Vice President of Revenue Cycle Business Services and will now have the added responsibility of Central Business Office Operations in addition to Client Services and Technology Implementation. Ms. Clinkscales has been essential in upholding a strong customer service model and ensuring that we provide quality service to our clients both timely and effectively. Ms. Clinkscales has over 20 years of experience in Revenue Cycle Operations to include process improvement and technical integrations. Previously Ms. Clinkscales led Six Sigma Process Improvement initiatives for CHRISTUS Health Corporate Revenue Cycle with successes in reducing account receivables days, decrease in denials and standardizing Six Sigma methodologies across the regions. Ms. Clinkscales holds a Bachelor’s of Science degree in Healthcare Administration from the University of Phoenix, and is a Six Sigma Black Belt.
Vice President of Operation
Suzanne Dusak serves as Vice President of Operation, Client Delivery and Remittance Management for GAFFEY Healthcare. Suzanne brings over 18 years of healthcare experience to the leadership team. At GAFFEY, Suzanne oversees all aspects of implementation, customer service and product development pertaining to our EDI tools for billing and remittance management. Prior to joining GAFFEY Healthcare Suzanne served as EDI Analyst at Virtua Health. During her tenure at Virtua Health she received the Virtua STAR Award for Process Improvement in the EDI Department; which resulted in the highest cash collection ever in 2002. Suzanne and her husband have called Marlton, NJ, their home for the past 35 years.
Vice President of Sales & Business Development
Laurie Pomerantz serves as Vice President of Sales & Business Development for GAFFEY Healthcare. Laurie is a seasoned healthcare professional who brings to her role more than 30 years of revenue cycle experience with both Payer and Provider companies as well as a wealth of market knowledge. She has consistently driven significant growth and built strong relationships with clients, channel partners and other industry influencers to promote the success of GAFFEY’s technology and services. Laurie holds a BA from Emory University, and an advanced certification from the London School of Economics. She lives in San Antonio, TX, with her husband and two sons.
Vice President, Client Management
Jackie Russo serves as the Vice President, Client Management at GAFFEY Healthcare. Jackie has 10 years of experience in the health industry, most especially in revenue cycle management functions including credit balances, denial/account receivables management, unbilled reporting, and billing for a 23+ hospital system. Due to her time spent in the day-to-day operations of the hospital revenue cycle, she was also part of a small team that developed, launched, and grew a revenue cycle and HIM services company. Jackie served as the Manager of Client Development and Sales and was instrumental in growing its services platform and client base. Most recently, Jackie served as the Vice President of Client Management for the largest HIM-outsourcing company in the industry. Jackie earned her bachelor’s degree from Penn State University and a Master’s of Business Administration from Carlow University.